Translate

Wednesday 9 January 2013

McDonalds sales driven by Dollar Menu


I read recently that sales at McDonald's blew away analyst expectations this winter with the help of $1 meals. Apparently, Micky D's was suffering from a "rare decline" in November. The company then beefed up its Dollar Menu promos with "renewed emphasis on low-priced menu options, such as $1 Sausage McMuffins and coffee."

It's fast, it's easy, and it costs $1. It was a genius way for McDonalds to boost their sales. But, because I've sworn off fast food forever (or, at least until I'm stuck at a highway service station with a massive case of the munchies!), I decided investigate what other foods I could buy with just a buck.

Grabbing my single George Washington, I stepped out into the big city to find a healthy meal for a dollar.


At my first stop - the usual lunch cafe - there was actually nothing available for a single dollar. Yogurt, a power bar, even a bag of chips was too expensive! I had to fight the hunger pangs and move on.


At another cafe, I discovered that the lack of $1 items is compounded by a hierarchy in options. The average assortment of fruit goes for $1 a piece. That is, if you can survive a workday on a Red Delicious. Surprisingly, at the same cafe, a 1.5 inch slice of Stromboli stuffed with salami and cheese, also goes for a dollar.


Across the street at the local news shop, a cup of coffee costs 99 cents. But, so does a slice from the pizza guy next door. In New York City, where every corner has a pizzeria, my stomach was beginning to fight harder than my one dollar mission. Then, I stepped into a nondescript deli shop and was greeted by the unthinkable: a basket of hard boiled eggs.


"They're fifty cents," the cashier said as I stared hungrily. "Two for a dollar."

Here, at the corner store, I had found a healthy, protein packed meal that could tide me over for a good few hours.

I bought two, went back to work, and felt good about my Dollar Meal Quest. If you want to find a fast food alternative on a $1 budget, you have to look for it. It will take work, but it's out there. With talk of the fiscal cliff, rising taxes, and a soaring obeisty rate, maybe menus everywhere will start to jump on the dollar deal. If it worked for McDonald's, it can work for the little, healthier guy too.

2 comments:

  1. Well done you, we are also trying to be good. Following along for more of your ideas. axx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you can do it! just squeeze in the healthy stuff in between all your sunshine and visits to the Corner Bar :)

      Delete